Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sunday Post :: Our children are our biggest imitators

James Arthur Baldwin once said, "Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them."

This week, I was reminded that children are our biggest imitators and its up to us to show them the "right" things to do. 

While on my mom-cation (aka maternity leave) I couldn't stop admiring my little bundle. I'd wake up every morning and take pictures of her, mostly with the built in camera on my blackberry as it was usually the closest form of a camera within reach. Well, one day while browsing the internet, I came across some really neat newborn photos - you know the ones with really cool props -- and it hit me, I can do this with my baby. So, I impulsively went out and purchased a Nikon DSLR camera and began taking pics. But, something happened, when I began taking pictures, I noticed that mine didn't have that flair that most of the pictures had that I viewed on the internet. As a matter of fact, the pictures taken from my blackberry actually looked better. And, in true Patrice ADHD fashion, I tossed the camera to the side and found a new project (I signed up for salsa lessons).

Well, my six year old son who became fascinated with my DSLR when I purchased it, has decided to retrieve it from the proverbial corner in which it was tossed and make good of it. He's mastering its features and has become a mini photographer in his own right. I love watching him find objects in our home to photograph and edit using the cameras editing features. Watching him hone a skill that I wanted to learn all because he watched me play with it for a day or so, makes me remember just how impressionable children can be. Plus, the $642.00 bucks that I spent on the camera didn't go to waste.

I share this post as a reminder that we must be careful of our actions because the little people in our homes are watching. In the future, I will commit to being a finisher and not a starter. 


3 comments:

  1. Yas! Starting and finishing is my hardest task to master. I am good for starting and when the going gets tough I put it down for the next thing. I am learning to not get frustrated and use my resources and connections to get me out of those ruts!

    I love my DSLR. Go check out Clickinmoms.com. Trust me, they'll have you picking that camera back up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very true!! You have to be so careful of your actions and what you say. My son can copy everything we do... he can charge the cell phone via the laptop so he can play games, take photos on the camera, and so many other things I didn't know 4 years could do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true! It's amazing how much my son is picking up from me and the Mr. He says and does everything we do. I love what you said about committing to being a finisher. I am working on this too!!!

    ReplyDelete